The summer school applicants should agree to the terms of service listed below.
Terms of Admission
- To apply for participation, candidates fill the application form at zfrmz.com/LIvS3AsIopxToTp0QPc2.
- Сandidates provide actual and accurate information about themselves with the correct contact information.
- The selection of participants is based on the competition. The selection includes:
- a candidate motivation;
- previous experience in Data Science / Machine Learning / Computer Science;
- personal achievements.
- The application deadline is May 1st.
- The announcement of the application results will be conducted before May 15th.
- The organizers might contact candidates additionally to clarify their skills and knowledge.
- While applying, candidates should be familiar with all the requirements of the courses and responsible for self-preparation and training.
- To qualify the proper candidates, the organizers might additionally check the candidate’s knowledge by asking to complete a test, provide a certificate, or through other means.
- English skills at level B1 or higher.
- Programming: The knowledge of Python’s basic syntax and main mathematical library usage (e.g., Numpy). R language skills are obligatory.
- Basics of Statistical Inference.
- Basic of Machine Learning.
Participation Fee Payment
- Approved candidates must pay the school’s tuition fee during the period that is defined by the organizing committee (usually two weeks after approval).
- Organizers prepare formal agreements with the participants to deliver educational services. They are signed during the first days of the school (in case if the fee is not paid via partner’s event platforms).
- A preliminary e-copy of the agreement is provided to a participant after the approval.
Cancellation and Refund
- Accepted participants may refuse participation at the school without losing the paid amount (excluding bank service commission) by notifying the organizing committee of their decision no later than June 15th.
- In the case of cancellation later than June 15th, the organizers will charge a commission up to 50% of the participation fee.
- School lasts from July 20–31. (ML Warm-up Week: July 13–18).
- Classes are scheduled from 9:00 am to 5:30 pm with a break for lunch.
- Tentative daily schedule: 9:00 am – 10:30 am – class #1 11:00 am – 12:30 pm – class #2 12:30 pm – 2:00 pm – lunch 2:00 pm – 3:30 pm – class #3 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm – class #4
- The study process is divided into two stages: July 20–27 – elective applied courses July 28–31 – project work
- There is one day off – July 26th. During this day the organizers offer participants an optional cultural and social program.
- During the project work, participants solve project tasks that are provided by the teachers and school partners. There will be formed teams (2-4 members) to work on projects. Projects’ final presentation takes place during the school closing ceremony on July 31st.
- The organizers do NOT provide the participants with personal computers/laptops. The participants should have their laptops while studying at school.
- The organizers provide a list of required software for the courses, but each participant is solely responsible for the availability of the recommended software on their laptops.
- The organizers do not provide access to extra computing power (dedicated computing servers, cloud services such as Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, etc.). The participants must take care of access to such services by themselves in case of necessity.
- The participants are granted with the official certificates of two types based on their study results.
- In a case of successful completion of the study program, i.e., visiting at least 80% of the classes and completion of the project, the participants will gain a Certificate of completion.
- If a participant has not completed a project (not presented the results during the final presentation) but has attended at least 60% of classes, he/she is provided with a Certificate of participation.
- Otherwise, certificates are not granted.
- If necessary, the participants may get an appendix to a Сertificate of completion with a detailed list of the courses and project title listed. Also, an appendix includes ECTS credits (four credits) and an overall mark of the school. This appendix can be used to transfer credits at home university (please, note that the transfer decision is made by home university independently).
- Participants have an opportunity to live in a dormitory of the Ukrainian Catholic University, which is located on a campus near the academic buildings. The address is 2, Kozenlytska street, Lviv.
- Each twin room has free access to Wi-Fi, private bathroom with shower or bath, refrigerator, comfortable workplace. Rooms equipped with a set of bed linen, towels. Also, there is a kitchen of common use at the hall with microwave ovens, kettles, utensils, and drinking water (there are no gas oven or electric cooker). There are washing machines in the dormitory’s basement (the school provides the washing powder).
- The cost of living is approximately 600-650 UAH (~24 EURO) per night in a tween room per one person.
- Participants who want to live at the UCU dormitory should contact the organizers to reserve a room until June 15th.
- Accommodation is in a twin room with another participant of the summer school. If you want to live with your friend or colleague, please inform the organizers in advance and provide your friend’s name while reserving the room.
- Participants must agree to the terms of accommodation:
- It is prohibited to: bring, take, and keep alcohol; smoke anywhere on campus outside a specific area; enter the dormitory after 12 am.
- Entrance to the dormitory is allowed on Monday – Thursday from 6 am to 11 pm and on Friday – Sunday from 6 am to 12 am.
- The cost of accommodation is not included in the participation fee.
- Accommodation payment is made personally during check-in/check-out.
- Also, the school’s participants may find their place of accommodation in city hotels and hostels or rent a flat.
- There is a canteen (refectory) in the school’s building that provides high-quality food. Read the menu at the link: http://www.fest.lviv.ua/uk/projects/uku/. The average lunch cost is about 3-4 EURO.
- Two cafes operate at the campus.